Most people get a little bit stressed out, when it comes to moving time. Staying organized it the surest way to keep the stress levels down.
Let’s start by having fun with the pressure-free, “I can do it” spirit.
- Customize a plan. Start off by planning the day you are going to pack and move.
- As soon as you know the day you are moving, contact the utility companies, give them your new address, when you need your services to be turned off at your old location and turned on at your new location.
- Start contacting all of your friends and companies that bill you, to give them your new address.
- Collect moving supplies such as boxes, tape, mattress pads, covers for furniture, etc.
- Let’s get packing, the earlier the better. If you can… do some packing ahead of time, by packing items you don’t use on a day-to-day basis.
- Toss out any of broken or worn out items. Items, such as clothing, books, toys, DVD’s that you don’t use, donate to friends or a charity.
- If you aren’t moving everything, select the items you will want to move by putting some colored tape on them to identify the items to be moved easier.
- Create a box of essentials for each room that you label “Open First”. For the kitchen, you could have some silverware, dishes, dish soap, coffee cups and a coffee maker. For the bathroom, you could pack shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper and additional toiletries that you might need.
- Pack a suitcase with a week’s worth of clothing. Pack some work, casual and gym clothes, so if you don’t have time to unpack all of your items, you have clothes to wear for the week.
- Decide if you need a storage unit to store items and get one rented.
- Rent a truck or carts to make moving easier.
Finally when the big day is here, you can throw a moving party with food, lots of beverages and music. Enlist help from family, friends and others help to move your items.